Thursday, February 4, 2016

Leveticus Painting WIP

I finally got started on laying down some paint on Leve last night:



So I've been wracking my brain on how I wanted to paint him for a very long time. I decided on creating a spotlight effect over black, and I tried making the source light come from above and behind him toward his right shoulder. This proved very difficult for me to pull off, especially when trying to give the impression that the jacket is black. I think I lost that, but the overall contrast and effect seems to work. I'm pretty disappointed in the difference of quality between the model's right and left side. I'm going to work on smoothing out the transitions more toward the bottom of the coat by his left leg. I know a lot of things won't come together until certain details are picked out, like his straps and buckles on his chest lending to a muddied look right now, but I'm very impatient lol.

Anyway, I'm going to try to post as many pics of WIP as possibly, as sort of an impromptu tutorial.

Here's what I've done so far:

  • Prime black
  • 50/50 Vallejo Air Sombre Grey/Black spray at 45 degree angle
  • Sombre Grey - spray only in spotlight areas
  • 50/50 Sombre Grey/Vallejo Wolf Grey - start spraying only in the hot spots, I concentrated on the shoulders and back
  • Wolf Grey - spray very very very considerately on hard hot spots, like the shoulders. You want to be very conservative with this.
  • Take the previously mentioned paints and brush them on for highlights and shades.
  • Also for kicks I painted the floating rocks Vallejo Game Color Stone Grey. I plan on making these a lot darker than this, though.
That's all I have for now, I'll update when I make further progress on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment