Monday, October 28, 2019

Malifaux WIP - Tara


Hey folks!

This weekend I also did some major work on Tara, using that awesome galaxy base I made and showed in the previous update a a little while back. I am absolutely pleased with how she's coming along, and only a few more (anxiety-inducing) steps away from being ready to rock!


I was painting her alongside the Cloud miniature I showed earlier and forgot to take pictures as I did the steps because I got too caught up in the work :)

Essentially prior to this stage I had her sticky-tacked to a stand to paint her off the base. I used VMA Dark Panzer Gray, then added some VGA Cold Grey until it was a pure grey. I initially wanted her clothes to be as black as Cloud's but let the grey get a little away from me. She still is pretty dark, so I'm okay with it.

I also painted the skin on her arm with a brush very quickly just so I can airbrush the blue where her arm is transforming into the claw. I picked blue because this is what I plan on painting her more alien crew members as, although I hyped up the lightness for her to make it stand out. On the other members of her crew, like the Nothing Beast and Void Wretches, I plan on going much darker with this blue being very sparing, just to make the OSL pink pop more. But with such a small area of "monster" on her I feel I needed to embellish the color to make it noticeable. A dark blue/black wouldn't look good and would get lost in the model. For the blue I used VMA Blue and VGA Electric Blue, a color I've been obsessed with ever since I painted that Blood Bowl commission a long time ago.


Here you see me finishing the skin tones in the arm and face. I used my tried-and-true combo of colors from Reaper, Golden Skin Shadow, Golden Skin and Golden Skin Highlight. Simple, but effective, and my favorite combo of colors for skin. I didn't use any wash so I could keep the values nice and soft. The trick is to paint the golden skin shadow opaque, but since it's over black it's a bit darker. When you're done doing the rest of the skin, you go back over where the layers are, well, layered, and do a small amount of shadow over the lines to blend it together. When it's painted over the base Golden Skin, it comes out with a much different tone and blends the two layers extremely well.

For the eyes, because they are just so ridiculously tiny, I decided to keep it very simple when I was in the middle of painting them. A trick I use when wanting to give a dark, ominous feel to a model's eyes, is to do a light wash of black in the sockets. This helps guide where my paint needs to go later when painting in the actual white and irises, but if you do it light enough to let the skin tone show through it really helps frame the eyes and gives that really creepy look to them. If you're doing a non-creepy set of eyes, swap out the black wash for a flesh wash. The definition does a ton of work for you but helps your eyes pop (not literally).

In this case I new they were just too damn small to do that. I originally wanted to recreate what I did for the Malifaux Child's eyes, where I painted the eyeballs grey and added bone to the mix and left it with no pupils to give it a dead, otherworldly stare. But it's just too damn small. So instead I did a heavier wash of black and made it look like nothing. She does have nothingness in her fluff, so I guess a black set of eyes does the trick of explaining my not-doing-more-workness.

I think it did a great job, because it puts the Golden Skin Highlight of her cheek bones right next a line of black, which does a great job of defining the face and where the eyes are and helps make the skin contrast very well.

Lastly, on this step I also did an additional drybrush of white/grey on the stones of the base, because they didn't stand out well enough in natural light. Once that was done I glued her to the base to make it easier to paint.


Here is her backside :)



Okay, a ton of work was done in this photo. I used GW Nuln Oil and a small brush to glaze the shading in her grey clothes. This was pretty time consuming. Then I took shades of Black, Cold Grey and and maybe some white, to line each crease of her clothing next to the black glazing. This was even more time consuming and frustrating. There are a lot of areas where I am just completely unhappy, but really the overall look is good, and when you're not staring under intense light and 6 inches away you will likely not notice them. It may bug me, but I know it still looks pretty good.

Adding in these highlights definitely took it from looking maybe like black to definitely this is grey. This is what I was talking about with Cloud, where it's a really fine line between keeping a model black and stepping over the line into grey, but luckily she can get away with it as opposed to Cloud who has a defined look.

After the excruciating work of highlighting I also painted the leather elements with a mix of VMC Woodgrain and VMC Orange Brown to block it in. I originally did the same to the bands on her wrist and ankles, but decided that stood out too much and painted them black with a highlight of GW Shadow Grey and Space Wolves Grey. They get lost in the folds of the clothes, but I found that I actually don't want those to stand out. 

Also, Tara knows the faux pas of wearing a brown belt with black shoes, but since she's less than 2" tall she doesn't give a crap. She needed something to break up the grey fields, and I once saw a picture online of someone doing the brown belt over a dark grey coat like this and I liked the look, so sue me :)

Lastly, you'll see I did the hair, and I was super happy with how it turned out. Hair like this can be a pain, especially when you want it to look like black hair. You can't go grey with this, like how her clothes turned out. So I did a simple trick that keeps it black while still having nice highlights. I just painted in the "bends" some GW Shadow Grey in the direction of the hair and left the primer in the darkest areas. Then I painted some lines of GW Space Wolves Grey to highlight those areas. It was super quick and I think is highly effective, and although it's another grey it separates well from the rest of the model. The blue tone of the grey ties the clothes in with the arm and base. It's important to think of those things to make a model look uniform, especially when you have such a wide array of colors on a model like this. 



Here this wasn't too much extra done, mostly the arm. I used some GW Blue Glaze (I forget the name) and painted them in the crevices of the monster arm. I then took some GW Purple Wash (forgot the name of that too) and glazed in the heavier shaded areas. Lastly I mixed some VGA Electric Blue with a bit of white and selectively added edge highlights. But only highlighting small focal areas I made it look much darker than it started out to be, which I think will help tie it in with the crew models I'll paint slightly darker, or rather more emphasized on the darker areas. It will make more sense when I paint those guys.



Here I finished, or rather started working the leather areas. I took the original VMC Woodgrain/Orange Brown mix, added more Orange Brown until it was pure Orange Brown, then added VMC Dark Sand for highlighting. I did this haphazardly to show worn leather rather than a clean set of layers. I then washed it with Woodgrain and finally GW Nuln Oil. I ended up going back over with my highlight mix to show more areas of wear by slightly stippling/randomizing the highlights.



And this is where she stands today. I painted the belt buckle up quickly with some greys, and did work on the hilt of the sword. The hilt I painted as a challenge to myself to try to do more brush NMM work, using GW Shadow and Space Wolf Grey with white as the final highlight, with a small glaze of VGC Turquoise. Because it's so small even if I mess it up it doesn't stand out too badly. I feel like I did the front of the hilt well enough but just crapped out on the back side. Honestly it doesn't bug me even though it's objectively the worst part of the model, but it was fun to try out some challenging new things, and I feel like I can easily translate this to other models in the future. If I had just had my mixes out and ready on the palette rather than mixing on the fly I think I could have done this better. Overall I'm pleased.

Next up I'll have to paint the OSL glow on the sword and the hole in her chest. I am excited about the final look, but am terrified of doing this as one screw up will negate all the hard work I did on her clothes!

No comments:

Post a Comment