Monday, October 28, 2019

More Cool Stuff for the Hobby!


Lately I've been struggling with getting all my Malifaux crews transported successfully to tournaments and (semi)weekly gaming. I was using a small Feldherr bag to transport my crews, which worked well enough when I got my Viktoria crew well-tuned and didn't need to bring much else. Now in M3E I have completely different crews and a few of my models don't fit the foam bag well at all and have broken. When one of my Bandidos' tiny guns broke from her hand twice I decided enough was enough and I needed to get a new solution. 

I had been messing with magnets for my miniatures for a while now but never fully committed to it. I successfully magnetized my Descent minis, but don't transport them often. I magnetized my Hamelin crew but don't use them and never stored them in a magnetic case or transport. I also successfully magnetized my Zombicide Green Horde minis but made a foamcore box with a magnet sheet to store them. What I really needed was a very sturdy solution for all my Malifaux crews, and working on it myself would have me hesitant on its quality or security.

I debated on turning a wooden cigar box into a tournament tray and transport solution, but felt it wouldn't be big enough, and I'd have to secure a handle to it, and it wouldn't hold my other stuff like cards, tape measure, etc. without more work.

I remember a long time ago seeing these Tablewar Mini Cases at a Warmachine Tournament and realized it was a perfect solution, so I found the site and ended up buying one.

It came in separate shipments but didn't take too long. The trays, due to its modular nature, takes a tiny bit of work to put together but Spikey Bits does an excellent set of videos on doing this stuff. Essentially you use some Gorilla Glue to put them all together and use some clamps to hold the sheet to the frame while it dries.


What you get is an excellent storage/transport unit that fits every one of my needs! The trays slide out and can hold a ton of minis on each one. It also comes with a small drawer to hold all your necessary gaming items. This isn't 100% needed, and I may have to abandon it if I plan on bringing my entire Malifaux Outcasts collection. But for now I've streamlined all the items I need to bring to play in a tournament or weekly game to only this case! I love that. It also can hold my dry erase marker, which I've decided to switch to using instead of a ton of tokens/markers for conditions in the game to downsize the amount of stuff I need to bring to a game.

For now I don't have a ton of stuff magnetized, but my entire Parker Barrows crew is on the left and some of my Tara crew is on the right (with an extra Midnight Stalker because he was already magnetized). By this weekend's tournament I'm hoping to have the Tara crew magnetized and ready to play!


While I was on the same site I saw they also offered neoprene backdrops for Macro photography, and it comes with a cool stand to hold it up so I bought that too. I used to use a printed backdrop on regular paper and it worked well enough, but I saw that the mat could work really well with my light box that I owned and it turned out to be a perfect fit! It comes with three mats for different backdrops, one is cool, one is warm, and another is just a blue to white gradient.


My first test photo using Ashes and Dust turned out pretty good! I've just got to work on my camera settings as the lights are really bright even when diffused and the white colors get washed out.

I highly recommend these products from Tablewar if you have the same needs that I had!

3 comments:

  1. So the minis are magnetized to the metal tray right? An ingenious solution and the case looks really cool to boot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! It's super neat. You can do the same thing on your own but it won't be nearly as cool :) I've had great success buying single steel shingle sheets at the home improvement store, it's super cheap and you can glue it to whatever you'd like. If you find old wooden cigar boxes for sale they're cheap and perfect candidates to glue them to, just get some tin scissors to cut the shingle to size and glue.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete