Follow by Email

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Updates

Hi all!

I know I haven't done anything at all to this blog as of yet, but considering the lack of travel on the page it really is of no consequence.

Just a few updates since my last post:

I recently purchased an IWATA Eclipse HP-CS airbrush. I'm excited to start using an airbrush as a new tool. I believe it may help elevate my level of painting, which has been stagnant as of late. All I need is a compressor to get things rolling!

I've also gotten the laser engraver ready to go and will hopefully start cutting things today. My first cuts are going toward my Infinity bases for my Yu-Jing. I've also brought my laptop with me to work so that I could design some Infinity counters during lunch. I've gotten some acrylic sheets to cut them out of. Infinity is a game with a lot of statuses for models, so having numerous counters are crucial to speeding up gameplay. I plan on bringing my laptop to work every day. I realized that if I put an hour a day during lunch toward laser designs I might actually get something done.

In thinking about this blog over the last week I've realized that in order for it to become more interesting I've got to start taking pictures of all my works in progress. I'm so used to only photographing my finished works and have never thought of work in progress pics. Again, it's been close to a decade since I've blogged. Rust needs shaking off!

I've also been priming my orks. I've recently ordered 3 cans of demonic yellow primer from Army Painter. I've had some bad experience with spray primer, so bad in fact that around 5 years ago I vowed to never use it again and only painted on my primer (which Imperial Primer from Citadel Color became a godsend once it was available!). Maybe it was because I was in Huntsville, TX, where humidity comes to breed, and almost all my efforts to spray prime became dusty pieces of crap that ruined my perfectly good models. I've sprayed through one can so far, and my fears resurfaced again. My first models were caked on too thick. My second attempt yielded dusty models! I HATE DUSTY MODELS! Ugh. Earlier in the week I had much more success with Wal-Mart spray paints. Granted, I bought 3 different cans of white from Wally World, one can of yellow from Michael's and one can of yellow from Hobby Lobby. The yellow from Hobby Lobby was glossy, although nowhere on the can does it say gloss, and bubbled up everywhere - not to mention caked up any detail on the model. The ork face was just a yellow blob with bubbles everywhere. The can from Michael's was a huge disappointment. It was Liquitex, acrylic, the perfect shade of yellow, and a matte finish. Too bad it was like water. It acted as a spray wash, where it was translucent on the raised areas and pooled in the recesses, thickening up all detail. I bought two Rustoleum primers at Wal-Mart, one turned out to be gloss, and the other I haven't tried yet. I also bought one that was a 2x coverage primer (forgot the brand), which I had the least amount of hope for thinking that it would cake up any detail as well but figured what the hell. That was the only one that I was satisfied with, plus it was the first one I tried! So in the end I figured I'll spray my remaining 2 battlewagons and trukk with the yellow primer (when you first spray with it it turns out fine, just too thick if you're as dumb as me and spray too close!) before it gets dusty. Then worst case scenario I spray white primer for my boyz and paint the yellow on.

I'm also in the middle of painting my last Impaler in my Trollblood army. He's about 40% done. After that I will paint Janissa Stonetide. After THAT I have 4 stone scribes and a stone scribe Chronicler to paint and my 50pt Madrak list is complete! It would have only taken 4 years!

Resolution: take more pics. The interwebs loves pics.